Thursday, January 6, 2011

Holiday Hangover

Christmas has really gotten to be a pain in the ass. It's my favorite holiday and yet it totally stresses me out. I worry about whether or not the people will like what I have given them, especially my kids. The fear of most parents at Christmas is that their child will not be satisfied. What a thing to worry about at Christmas. I usually go all out. I drop a few hundred bucks on my kids, not to mention the expense of buying for others, afraid I may look cheap. This year I decided I was not going into debt for the sake of the holiday. My daughters each received a nice pair of slippers, a dvd and a video cam. Honestly, it was hard for me to stop at that. I felt like I was cheating them. I was afraid that when they compared notes at school with the other kids they would be ashamed of me. My mother believed that love equals gifts. Our tree was almost buried in gifts. I don't remember a single one of them. What I do remember, however, is the bill collectors calling our house so much we had to unplug the phone. Mom is coming around though. She allowed us to draw names this year and I was really proud of her.

One year I could not find a Sailor Moon video that was out of production. I ended up buying a used copy. We gave it to a friend who was really into Sailor Moon, for her birthday. As soon as she opened it I wished I had gotten her something else. Materialism is so ingrained in my mind that I was embarrased that I had given her a used video. You hear about people getting caught "regifting" and it is a most serious offense. Giving a used gift is probably up there with treason.

Well my New Year's resolution is: I don't give a fuck whether or not you like what I'm giving you this year. I'm giving it from the heart and if you don't like it then you aren't my friend. We need to snap out of this affluence bullshit. Moreover, next year do not buy me anything, especially if it is plastic, made in China or requires batteries. If you don't love me or I have offended you then do the Earth a favor and take me off of your Christmas list.

Next year I am again going to make jam, applesauce and salsa. But I'm not going to feel the need to supplement my handmade (with love) gift with something I purchased. You're getting the jam and that's it. The good news is that I'm saving your life by not adding HFCS, preservatives, GMO or pesticides. My favorite gift this year was some freezer jam and a mixed cd my friend made. They have given me more enjoyment than the battery operated can opener that has sat in my drawer for three years.

We had a garage sale several weeks ago (which I swore I would never do again) and I realized how many thousands of dollars worth of gifts were being practically given away. Some of them have never been opened. My advice is save your money. If you see a book in the used book store that you think I will like, by all means buy it. I love to read and I don't give a shit if it is used or not, the words inside will be the same, I promise. Frame something special: childrens' art (hey some of it is really good), memorabilia, my favorite flower or your picture. Make me something. In return, I am going to think about you all year long and find something that I think you would appreciate. That is the secret to great gift giving: to always be on the lookout. Don't wait for the holiday to smack you in the face.

So that's it. That's my resolution. I'm adding a link to a youtube video a Facebook friend turned me onto. I wish I would have made it: This Year's Resolutions .

Love, Constance

No comments:

Post a Comment