Friday, September 26, 2014

Goodbye Facebook

I left Facebook a few months ago and I don't miss it.  Who needs all of the needy relatives inviting you to things you don't want to go to?  Or who needs that "friend" that you hardly ever see asking you to donate to their kids football team?  And let's not forget those really, really needy people who want to whine about how they don't have a boyfriend/girlfriend or that their boyfriend/girlfriend has dumped them all the while complaining about every ache and pain and bout of insomnia......I just don't care.  I hate needy people and that is how they seem to me when they turn to their fake friends wanting sympathy or attention.

I have come to refer to this forum as "Fakebook". 

Face it, most of you are not my "friends"....gamers, I'm looking at you.  I wanted to build my friends list so I let my sister use my profile to play games and now I'm paying for it.  I hate to say it but most gamers are kind of losers.  The most annoying thing about them is the constant "notifications" begging me to play with them.....if that's not needy, I don't know what is.   Even more irritating is that now I have to hide or delete most of them because I am tired of seeing pictures or their grandbabies, tired of being preached to about how much Jesus wants us to save the world and I'm tired of seeing pictures of their beloved little rat dog(s)....everyday.  No, this is one group I am definitely not really "friends" with.


The relatives:  You know those "friends" who are relatives that you, literally, never see.  You are trapped.  I mean it's not like you can deny the request lest you have every other relative putting you on the spot and asking you why. Or better yet, you run into that relative at the once a decade get together and they, of course, ask why you won't add them or why you have deleted them.  You have no choice, you have to keep them on the list.  Now they can engage you in every aspect of their lives.  They make stupid comments on your posts and tell you all about their neighbors, in-laws, schedules, trips to the DMV, aches pains and woes.....again, I don't care.  In fact, there is a reason why we don't ever see one another.

Also awkward is the unwanted friend request from somebody you don't know or someone you do know and just don't want to add (other than the aformentioned relatives).  I have to admit at first it is a little flattering to have that little icon light up with people lining up to be your friend.  But in no time at all it becomes clear that they are not somebody I want to be friends with.  As soon as somebody starts preaching to me about religion, telling me to support the troops, posting random postcards with stupid quips they are CUT OFF.

Then there are the posers.  They are the ones that post constant selfies, brag about everything (while trying to look humble....but failing at it), name drop and basically promote all that is them every chance they get.  I really, really don't care.  I would if it were genuine but it clearly is not. Need-y!

Then again, isn't all social media supposed to launch us into the information age?  Nothing is secret anymore...maybe that's good, maybe not.  Every once in a while I will see a post that interests me but mostly, I don't.  I do wonder about some of my real "friends" but then I think: Hey they are really my friend.  I can go to their house or give them a call.  All I know is that it I don't miss "Fakebook" more than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment