Thursday, July 29, 2010

Baby steps

Today I was going to blog about taxes or voting. My friend is dying of cancer, I'm smoking the wrong kind of weed, my kids are home for three more weeks and I'm really just not in the fucking mood to vent about shit like that.

Instead I thought I might talk about what I keep in my refrigerator. If your lucky I'll talk about the pantry and freezer in the future. I love food. I thought it might put me in a better mood.

My fridge staples are cream, milk, butter, buttermilk, juice, eggs, bread, cheese, beer, champagne, simple syrup, tortillas and lettuce. My family won't starve if these things are in my fridge.

I buy whipping cream because it is versatile. I use a little fancy glass milk jar I got from a local creamery and make my own half and half, I also make sour cream, soups and whipping cream. I've saved a little, wasted less and it tastes better. I keep a quart of buttermilk for ranch dressing, biscuits, sour cream, pancakes and other stuff. I always have milk, orange juice and frozen grape juice. The rest of the shit is pretty self explanatory.

I've been blogging how to change the world around you and how I think it starts with shit you buy. My first goal is to reduce the amount of prepared food that I buy. I was digging weeds in my garden the other day and I noticed that many of them looked like the salad blend I had recently bought. I'm not saying eat weeds, I mean you can, but that isn't my point. I started to realize that most of us would have no fucking clue how to survive without a grocery store. I couldn't even recognize edible weeds. How many generations ago were wild edibles identifiable? We really are becoming dependent on others to feed us.

So start small. Try making salad dressings. You'll be reducing the amount of plastic you consume, you will know what the ingredients are and where they came from and you'll be feeding yourself. They are so much better when you make them yourself. I've put recipes on the sidebar for some of the most popular dressings. I'm hoping a few friends will try it out and let me know if they found it doable or too cumbersome.

Love, Constance

1 comment: